Monday, June 27, 2011

Running Outside of the Box

As I was running tonight, I thought to myself how much I have come out of my safety shell since I became a runner. There are things I would do now I would never have dreamed of prior to running. That got me thinking of my list. Here it is.

Things I would do as a runner, I wouldn’t do before:
  1. Pick up a dirty rubber band off the ground and use it in my hair
  2. Blow a snot rocket
  3. Give up a Saturday or Sunday glued to my computer monitoring friends’ progress in various marathons or triathlons
  4. Plan an entire days meals around a single run
  5. Plan a vacation around training (or better yet, fly somewhere to run and call it a vacation)
  6. Share a water bottle (I still have a hard time at this, but when in need!)
  7. Use a port-o-potty (for those that know me, they know I am a germaphobe)
  8. Dig in the dirty clothes pile for a workout outfit and using the "sniff" test and realizing "not too smelly" was good enough
  9. Spend more money on shoes and clothes from stores with “Running” in the title vs. stores with “Nordstroms” in the title
  10. Turn down invites because it would interfere with a run

Runners are creatures of habit I have found out. We are also clever, using what is at our disposal to get the job done. I certainly have changed since I started running, hopefully for the better :-)

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I would NEVER have used the sniff test before I started running. Now I sort of figure even if it doesn't smell now, it's about to smell, so why do so much laundry? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have done 9 out of 10.... But to be honest, being a guy and having short hair makes No. 1 pretty much an NA.

    GREAT LIST! Thanks for the share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great list! I had to LQTM, because I've done every single one of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. hehe. the sniff test. runners are a dirty group

    ReplyDelete